Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Memorable in a bad way

Have you ever watched a movie so disturbing that when it ended you were completely stunned by it? A movie that hits you right in a gut, so emotionally disturbing that you end up thinking about it for days afterward? It's a rare occurrence for me. Even if I consider a movie to be memorable (whether sad or thought-provoking or whatever), most of the time I will watch it movie then forget about it right away. However, three movie-watching experiences stand out in my mind as traumatic:

  • My Girl. I was 8 or 9 when my family took me to see this movie. The title character was odd yet relatable. The whole movie is very emotional in the way that coming-of-age movies usually are, and then the shocker ending tops it off to make this movie unbelievably sad. How can you get killed by bees? This was the first time I cried during a movie.
  • American Beauty. I saw this movie in high school with my dad and my sisters. I remember driving home that night in complete silence, then thinking about this movie all night and the next morning. With all the bleak, depressing, and immoral things that were portrayed, my innocent view of middle-class life was gone forever.
  • Rosemary's Baby. Talk about frightening. I saw this one on TV late at night, not really knowing what it was about other than it was a horror movie. I think if I had watched it in a theater I would have walked out. The beginning of the movie is like a regular drama, then it takes a very unexpected (at least to me) Satanic turn. A standard over-the-top horror movie I can handle, but this movie is so realistic despite the far-out plot line that it totally freaked me out.

There have been a few others, but those are the ones I remember most clearly. It really is amazing how a work of fiction can have that much power over you. A lot of times you don't even know what you're getting into, you see a movie because it's well-reviewed or you go with someone not knowing what the movie is about. I wouldn't say I regret seeing those movies, but I definitely wouldn't want to watch those kinds of movies every week. It's good to challenge yourself and shake up your world view every once in a while, but nine times out of ten I would rather watch a movie like Wallace and Gromit than a movie like The Exorcist.

No comments: