Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Advice

Some next-to-last class advice from one of my professors: Write a journal. Otherwise how will you remember how you felt at different times in your life? How will you remember what happened, the good things and the bad things? If you don't write it down, it will all be lost.

I take this advice seriously, coming from a professor in his 70s. He's totally right. Things can get awfully hazy in your memory. It's good to have a record of them. Not that I really need to be nagged into keeping a journal, as journaling is more of a compulsion for me than an act of discipline. I've kept journals since I was 12, not to mention writing this blog. I can't imagine not journaling, in fact. But the prof's advice makes me think about it a little more seriously; it makes me more aware that I should be writing about things that are going on in my life instead of just angst-filled ramblings and musings about pop culture. What am I going to want to remember when I'm 70? That I watched Celebrity Fit Club on April 30?

Anyway, I just thought this was a great piece of advice, something I'd pass along, especially to those who are not particularly compelled to keep journals.

No comments: