Saturday, October 20, 2012

I came across this post during a bout of late night blog reading last night. It's a mish mash of ideas about religion and community that starts with Mr. Rogers and ends with "Lilo and Stitch."
And as I examined my own feelings about Mr. Rogers, I began to feel that perhaps this was how the truly devout feel about their deity.

A figure of overwhelming goodness and wisdom, who knows my deepest, darkest secrets, yet loves me anyways. A caring force that accepts me for who I am, yet also helps me to be a better person. Doesn't that sound like the kind of relationship that believers want to have with their God?
Yes.

I think we all have a need to be known, really and truly, and then accepted for what we are. Call it love. Call it friendship. Whatever it its, we need it.

I don't know if it is my age or the age we are in, but for me it's a struggle to find community. And when I do find it I value it and hold on to it for as long as I can.

No comments: