Saturday, November 24, 2012

RIP Sherman Hemsley

I was trying to recall this week how I remembered Sherman Hemsley, because it wasn't really from "The Jeffersons." I've seen an episode or two of that show, but it aired before I was born. Actually, I remember seeing him in "Amen" in the late '80s, when my mom would watch TV on Saturday nights and my sisters and I would watch along as my mom wound our hair around pink rollers. Funny how even now I can remember Hemsley's mannerisms, his voice, and all the laughs that he got. In that sense I know he will live on for a long, long time.

I did find it interesting that a famous actor would want to live in El Paso. According to this article, he told a friend, "I'm from Philadelphia, but El Paso is my home." It's a great compliment for the city that he found it so welcoming.

No comments: