Sunday, January 25, 2009

The fence

A friend and I went to see one of the last remaining spots where construction of the new border fence is going on in the El Paso area. About 80 percent of the fence that's going up in the area is already completed. Kind of a strange feeling, being out there in the Rio Bosque Wetlands Park, the surroundings so peaceful and natural with flocks of birds everywhere, looking at the object of so much controversy.


I still haven't made up my mind about the fence. It's definitely an eyesore, and obviously it's going to have some impact on the wetlands environment. I also don't agree with the expedited way it went up.


On the other hand, shouldn't the U.S. patrol its borders for safety reasons? I don't think the fence will end illegal crossings, but at least it's one tool for Border Patrol to do its job more effectively.

It's a complicated issue. I'm all for welcoming immigrants to work in this country, but I don't think that welcoming necessarily means turning a blind eye as they cross illegally through an insecure border. Immigration reform, people, it needs to happen soon.

No comments: