Friday, October 13, 2006

Best songs ever

I was thinking about what I wrote in the last post about my list of the "best songs ever." I've never come up with an actual list, but after I wrote that I thought it might be fun to try. So here are my Top 20 most favorite songs, the ones on my hard drive or in my CD collection that I listen to with great delight, the ones I turn the volume up on and start singing along with when no one's looking. I thought 20 was a good number, 10 would be too few, anything over that would be overkill since there are so many songs I like. There's a definite theme- a lot of classic rock, a lot of what I would refer to as "lush melancholy pop anthems." They are listed in no particular order, since ranking them would be a pointless and impossible task. Without further adieu:
  • "Time After Time" Cyndi Lauper
  • "Silver Spring" Fleetwood Mac
  • "You Get What You Give" New Radicals
  • "Roxanne" The Police
  • "Wouldn't It Be Nice" The Beach Boys
  • "Drive" The Cars
  • "Just What I Needed" The Cars
  • "Masquerade" Madonna
  • "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" U2
  • "One" U2
  • "Sounds of Silence" Simon and Garfunkel
  • "Brown-Eyed Girl" Van Morrison
  • "Paperback Writer" The Beatles
  • "Something" The Beatles
  • "Let It Be" The Beatles
  • "Tiny Dancer" Elton John
  • "White Houses" Vanessa Carlton
  • "Linger" The Cranberries
  • "I Can't Tell You Why" The Eagles

3 comments:

NewMexiKen said...

An interesting list.

None before 1965.

And all by white Americans or English (I think).

Annette said...

NewMexiKen: I've never really thought about the lack of diversity in my musical tastes. I guess my favorite genre is modern rock and most of those happen to be by white artists. Though I do try to listen to other types of music.

Will: Thanks!

NewMexiKen said...

Your list caused me to add a long music list to NMK Saturday. I'm not as creative/ambitious/personal as you though, I copied NPR's list for 20th century American music.

I'm not sure any of your top 20 would make my top 20, but you sure have some good tunes listed.

And, like Dylan's radio show, no Dylan.