Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Day 10 of no longer working at night. It is so much easier for me to force myself to be alert during daylight hours, even when I'm tired and sitting through a long, boring meeting, than it was at night. It's much more difficult to force yourself to stay awake when you're tired at night and your internal clock is screaming at you to go to sleep. I suppose that's pretty obvious--working at night goes against natural circadian rhythms, which is why those hours are considered undesirable. It was a huge priority for me to get enough sleep when I worked at night, since I was so afraid of driving home exhausted and possibly getting into an accident. Perhaps the fear was unnecessary, since after awhile I think I had reprogrammed my body to be alert late at night. But I had forgotten how powerful sunlight is as an incentive to staying awake.

No comments: