Sunday, August 19, 2007

I think I could just as well have used the title of Friday's post to describe the state of my life at the moment--everything's different now.

First of all, I'm starting to adapt back to a daytime schedule. Having so many evenings free is very strange to me after two years. I feel like it's a crazy luxury that for the foreseeable future I can do whatever I want between the hours of 7 p.m. and midnight. I can watch all the prime-time TV I want, Heroes and Lost and ER and The Bachelor. Wow. I can go to a movie on Friday or Saturday night, both if I want to. I won't have to skip my cousin's wedding reception. On the other hand, daytime trips to Wal-Mart may be coming to an end, and I probably won't be able to stay up late enough to watch Conan and The Daily Show. Fair tradeoff? We'll see.

My sister has moved back to Las Cruces to go to school there. So it's one less person in the house to vent to. One less person to watch The Wedding Singer with for the 20 millionth time. Good for her but the house can get lonely.

And my name is now on a syllabus, right after the word "Instructor." Yes, I am teaching a class. Don't expect me to write about any of my misadventures here, but I am sure it is going to be a quite an experience.

Years ago, I read a poll in TIME magazine where most of the respondents agreed that real adulthood begins at age 26. I turn 26 next May, so I'm treating this school year as my last hurrah as a wild and crazy young adult. It's one last year to learn as many things I can that I want rather than need to know about, language and literature and music mostly, one last year not to be swallowed up by real grown-up concerns. I hope it goes well.

No comments: