Saturday, September 22, 2012

Last night my mom, sister and I went to Red Lobster to celebrate my mom's birthday. I was unbelievably tired. Why this week felt like one of the longest I've ever lived I'm not quite sure. As I looked at the faces of my mom and sister I read they felt exactly as tired as I was. I joked that we should all go home and take a nap instead.

Is this what it means in general to work, to feel so tired at the end of the week you can barely enjoy a nice dinner? We work in three different professions -- teaching, news and restaurant management -- but all achieved the same intense level of weariness. I know work is by definition supposed to take something out of you, but should it take every last speck of energy you have?

Some cheddar biscuits and fried shrimp helped bring some energy back to us. But it was a pretty lackluster celebration and I was in bed by 10 per my usual Friday night routine.

No comments: