Saturday, August 26, 2006

Boys of summer

My dad and my sister and I went to the Diablos baseball game last night. It was the second-to-last game of the season. I bought tickets right behind the visitor's dugout this time so we could see all the players from Coastal Bend waiting for their turn to bat. There was also this really cool batboy sitting there who would discreetly toss a baseball to some kids in the stands every once in a while. What a nice kid. It was a pretty good game from what I could tell even though I don't know much about baseball. The Diablos stayed ahead the whole time and won 5-4 in 7 innings (it was a short game since it was game 1 of a doubleheader). OK, then the fireworks show started. It had threatened to rain the whole game, so we were all kind of relieved the game hadn't gotten rained out and they were still going to put on the fireworks. The fireworks were awesome, as usual. So then the fireworks show ended and a minute later it started pouring rain. I almost had to laugh out loud at the irony of the situation. It makes you think that maybe God has a sense of humor. So I thought as we all got drenched walking back to my dad's truck. There was a mass exodus at that point and I don't think anyone stayed for the second game, which apparently was started but got rained out in the fourth inning. Anyway, it was a pretty fun night. Both times I've gone to games I've had a really good time. Kind of sad that the season is over. Until next summer, I guess...

No comments: