Monday, July 16, 2007

Best (and worst) concerts I've been to

I'm not too much of a concert-goer, especially lately as funds for concert tickets have been low. But I've been to a few good concerts (and a few bad ones) and I thought it might be worth recalling the best and the worst:

The best:
1. Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Classical music on steroids. The music was top-notch, the light show was mind-blowing, and last time I went they even had fake snow. Wow.
2. John Mayer, opening act Maroon 5: Maroon 5 was near the peak of their initial popularity and they played an amazing set. Could it also be that I have a tiny crush on John Mayer? Possibly. John Mayer is a great guitar player and he played through the gap between the last song and the encore, a poke at the stupidity of encores that I thought was hilarious.
3. Vertical Horizon, opening act Sister Hazel: My first concert. Sister Hazel played a cover of "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" that I loved. And Vertical Horizon had a whole line-up of great songs.
4. Matchbox 20: Maybe Matchbox 20 is way too Top 40 in a lot of ways but you forget that these guys are actually pretty good musicians. The band played a fantastic cover of "Jet".
5. Fleetwood Mac: For being older, this band put on a very energetic show. And Stevie Nicks, need I say more?

The worst:
1. Hall and Oates: It's kind of embarrassing to admit that I went to a Hall and Oates concert. I don't know how you manage to make elevator music more boring, but they did. A very rote performance and they barely talked to the audience at all.
2. Nickelback: I had to stand through the whole concert, I got beer spilled on me, and halfway through I realized that I don't like Nickelback's music very much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever considered going to some concerts that weren't so mainstream? like maybe some local bands that kick butt.

Annette said...

Yeah I have but I've never actually gotten around to doing it. It doesn't help that I work most weekend nights.

Anonymous said...

Darn... that sucks! It dosen't help that most of the talented bands are all in Europe or Austrialia right now.